If you can think of a fun place in the Algarve, think of Albufeira first! This amazing city has it all: entertainment for all tastes and ages, sunny beaches, the best nightclubs and the most dramatic seaside landscapes So here are our top 5 Things to do in Albufeira.
1. Sunbathing at Praia dos Pescadores makes our list because the beaches in Albufeira are one of the top reasons the city has earned its spot among the most prominent seaside destinations in Europe. Maybe the most picturesque of all beaches in and around the city, Praia dos Pescadores (which translates into “Fishermen’s Beach”) reminds one of the former fishing industry in the village that would turn into the thriving city today. It is also an excellent spot for parasailers and for those in search of an authentic culinary experience, sampling the local seafood.
2. Taking a cruise by the seashore, you can get to see the dramatic caves and dolphins jumping out of the water in a merry dance.
3. A visit to Zoomarine Algarve is a must if you are traveling with your little ones. This unique aquarium is one of the top attractions in the Algarve and features dolphin and sea lion shows every day!
4. Visit the Roman ruins in Cerro da Vila to learn more about the rich history of Portugal when it was part of ancient Rome, under Caesar Augustus.
5. If you plan your trip to Albufeira between March and October, you will not miss the International Sand Sculpture Festival, the most spectacular ephemeral sculpting celebration that will bring a wide smile on everyone’s face!
During your stay, you can rent a car in Albufeira or get an Albufeira transfer, but be sure to book in advance, especially since the summer is a very busy time here.